Marvelous Mulled Wine
enturies-old, mulled wine is a delightfully festive alternative to wine by the glass for a fall dinner party or celebration. Infuse Cabernet Sauvignon with sugar, cloves and cinnamon sticks, then top it off with port and brandy. Remember the ladle, and you’re ready to enjoy this centuries-old delight.
- 2 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups port (a sweet Portuguese wine)
- 2 cups brandy
- Combine all the ingredients, except the port and brandy, into a large copper or cast-iron pot (not aluminum). Simmer while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add port and brandy.
- Heat for 30 seconds.
- Pour all into a large heat-resistant bowl or leave it in the pot.